Sunday, January 12, 2014

What do you do when a friend dies....

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

    
     I know that it is all about the kids...but what happens when life intervenes in a way that is hard to imagine?
     A friend and teaching colleague, Mike Romer, lost his battle with cancer this week.  About 10 years ago doctors successfully removed a brain tumor.  Last year it came back.  At the end of May he started chemo and lost his battle with cancer.  He is survived by his beautiful wife, Mary, and their lovely daughter.  I was incredibly blessed and fortunate to know and work with Mike.
     I know people die.  I have had to deal with questions of life and death before.  Having a friend pass so close in age really hits you in the gut.  It makes me ask the big question....am I really living my life the way I should?  I have to admit, I did not have the best week.  It was one of those weeks where I wondered if I am being effective as a teacher.
     Somehow, through it all, I felt that maybe in my uncertainty, a small prayer was answered.  Every day as a teacher, I am blessed with a second chance.  If I make a mistake the day before, I can try to get better the next day.  Unless it is June, the kids always come back the next day.   I think the key for me is to view my work as a type of prayer and in the middle of "planning" to somehow do something everyday to put the kids first.  That should be obvious but unfortunately it can get lost in the details.  In some way, the beauty of Mike's life is trying to tell me to keep going...in every way imaginable...to persevere...to teach as if my hair is on fire.  I am not very good at trying to put into words something that is hard to describe.  I think if Mike were here, he would get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment