Tuesday, March 4, 2014

What a difference two weeks makes....

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

   What a difference two weeks makes.  Not sure where to start.  First...my transformation into the world of inquiry.  If I am going to jump off the cliff, I hope to do it with enough chemical education research in hand to make it worth the trip.
     First, I read a paper about how to introduce the idea of particulate matter.  This professor had students who viewed an experiment and then viewed the particulate model of the experiment.  Some viewed the particulate model first and then the experiment. Some saw them at the same time.  He did it with three different concepts.  He wanted to see if ordered mattered on how students view material....and it does.  Students who viewed the experiment first and then the animated particulate experiment did much better in their conceptual understanding.  It seems from a constructivist,s point of view, they had something to connect their understanding with.  If they saw the animated view first, then they could not have an experience to connect with.  Also, through the TIMU program I read some stuff about the Science Writing Heuristic.  It seems to be a better way to write lab reports and do labs.  Essentially if forces kids to think more.
     Which gets me to my action research project.  I hope to do 5 to 8 consecutive activities in which students will see or perform a real world experiment and connect it with a particulate matter explanation.  I want to see how it changes their explanations over time.
     Finally, where would we be without blizzard bag assignments.  I am trying to incorporate flipped assignments with student centered activities and the particulate models.  Check out my "channel".  Look at the "Molecular Origami".  I would love to know what you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment