Monday, March 23, 2015

Working on a Need to Know basis....A

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

     A couple of observations....we did the IMF lab.  Students found data for the change in temperature for five chemicals.  I then asked, "What information do you need to predict how the last untested chemical will evaporate?"  It actually worked well.  The majority of the students did a great job with a tri fold and accurately predicted how pentane would evaporate.
   So I thought I would try it again.  We are going to "melt ice" with hot water and take data.  So the question will be, "How much energy does it take to melt ice?"  What do you need to know to figure this out with the data?  Once they do that I am going to pose a problem....If I have a set amount of water at a certain temperature, a mass of ice, what will be the final temperature when the ice completely melts?
     I think I finally have a research project.  I am sifting through 2.5 years of blog entries to look at different types of changes and place the entries into different categories.  Should be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment