Sunday, March 10, 2013

Baby steps and Inquiry....

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

     Had a great class the other night at Miami University Target Inquiry program the other night.  How do we help kids achieve through inquiry?  Dr. Yerzierski quoted a person who wrote a NSTA book (I'll get the name latter)...take baby steps.  Take a typical lab that we do and take off the data table.  Take another lab and have kids develop their own hypothesis.  On the next lab, give them only part of the data and have them get the rest from another group.
     I am now coming up on one of the toughest times of the year.  We are hitting OGT week, one more week and then spring break.  Kids are struggling and starting to shut down.  We are doing a evaporation lab next week.  I am having the students do mini posters, collect a small portion of data repeatedly and then get other sample data from other groups.  They have to also develop their own hypothesis.  Is it baby steps or jumping off a cliff?  I will let you know next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment