Sunday, March 17, 2013

If learning were a crime...would there be evidence?


WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

     Just got done with a weird state testing week.  The schedule was messed up every day and it usually is not a good idea to lecture or test kids after they have a 2.5 hour standardize test.  I decided to do labs in every class.  We did the "mini" poster presentation in Accelerated on a inter molecular force lab with data about evaporation of different solvents.  It is tough to put into words qualitative evidence.  The discussion and engagement was very good and their discussions were better than ones that I could have started.  Below is a sample lab...


     Another idea I stumbled upon with the help of Learn 21 and Chris Gutermuth is the idea of "google forms".  We have tried to have "pre lab" quizzes in the past.  Blackboard has not always worked well with examview.  It has been a struggle to do it effectively.  I think I found a nice way for "quick and dirty" simple quizzes or formative assessment type quizzes.
     In "Google Forms" it is easy to make a simple quiz that is multiple choice, matching or true false.  You can then send the link to a site or students.  A required question is "What is your name and student number?"  After students take it can click on the form and all the questions and answers pop up in a spreadsheet.  You can then "insert script" and search for one called "flubaroo".  It will automatically grade the quiz and provide a complete breakdown.  This might be helpful for pre lab quizzes.  It will not grade short answers but those might be ones that I do not grade but ask, "What is confusing about this lab....???" so I can quickly get an idea of what kids are not sure about.  This might also be nice for a quick "homework" quiz.  I will try it and let you know...here is a link for a quiz.  Sample Quiz HERE!  (Don't worry...I won't hold your grade against you...).

No comments:

Post a Comment