Saturday, April 6, 2013

Technology can be great when it work......




WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?


     So what is the evidence that students are learning????  I was doing the "mini posters" in both academic and in accelerated chemistry.  It is hard to describe the results because it was mostly anecdotal.  The discussions about hypothesis, data tables and conclusions seemed to me to be so much richer than in the past.  I wanted to continue this.  One problem I was having is that I was flying through file folders.  I decided to create a lab "template" on google docs.  I then "shared" a copy with the class that they could only "view".  They had to make a copy of it, rename it and "share" it with their partner.  This way they could both work on it anytime they wanted.
     The lab was about acid base properties.  It was a typical lab in which students go around checking household chemicals with litmus, pH paper and an indicator and they then have to tell if products are acidic, basic and the advantages and disadvantages of the methods.  I had them do the lab and record the data on paper.  We did not have the pH probes or goldenrod paper so I had them use pH paper.  On day two, I sent them the following link:  Further Information about this Lab
     I explained to them that even the best scientist in the world are often submit a paper to be published and are told, "Sorry...you have to prove your point 5 different ways."  The extra resources are the 5 different way.  Students then turned in a hard copy of the data and some questions and then submitted the electronic copy online.
     The cool part about this is that one of the best labs is from a kid who struggled last quarter.  For some reason he really "connected" with the online portion (or maybe it was connecting with his partner...) but he did an awesome job.  If I could only figure out a way to keep it going....check out his lab below



No comments:

Post a Comment