Monday, January 5, 2015

New Years and New Beginnings.....

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?


     I was never big into new year resolutions.  I always believed that if I had to change something, I would change it and not wait until an arbitrary data in which society tells us it is a good idea to start fresh.  However, there is also a new semester coming up.  I have to ask myself, what could I do better to help kids?
     Formative Assessment.  Not that I am an expert, but I never want to get an "expert blindspot".  I never want to "assume" students know stuff that I think they know.  I want to have the evidence.  I hope to do short, fast formative assessments.  My goal is once a week.
     Learning Cycle.  This has been around for 100 years, is supported by research, and is pushed by the american modeling association.  Why?  It works.  Basically, start with a macroscale example (labs) and follow with the symbolic and particulate to explain and mode.
     Research.  It follows numbers one and two (see above).  I plan on doing action research on a lab that provides experimental evidence for quantum numbers.  It leads to reactivity, bonding and electronegativity.  Here are my pre and post lab questions.....
What is ionic bonding?
What is covalent bonding?
What are the electrons doing when bonding occurs?
What is your evidence?
It will be interesting to see what happens. I will keep you posted.....

No comments:

Post a Comment