Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Molecular weight of Butane and Quantum Numbers....

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

Photo
     We just got back from break and were in the middle of gas laws.  I got a great lab from Flinn.  Students took the mass of a Bic lighter, the temperature of water and the atmospheric pressure.  The collect about 90 mL of butane over water in an inverted graduated cylinder.  They had to subtract out the water vapor gas and convert the volume to STP, find the moles and find the molar mass of butane.  They put the information in a spreadsheet through google classroom, I pasted it into a spreadsheet grader and printed. Overall, it worked really well and the spreadsheet did most of the work.  I think this is a keeper.  The conversations were great as students debated how to solve the problems.
     Next, I introduced quantum numbers to Academic with a POGIL.  As I started to give them some problems, I was hoping they would do some simple orbital diagrams.  They included the diagrams as energy levels.
Photo
      Not what I was expecting, but I will take it.  Where to go from here.  I gave students a few problems but I want to go back and clearly define levels, orbitals and sublevels.  I think when I try the quantum lab, I am going to have them get the data first and then say, "How do we explain this?" and then research paramagnetic and diamagnetic.  This will be a great way to go into coulombic attraction and bonding.   I think I am turning this into an action research project... I will keep you posted....

No comments:

Post a Comment