Friday, January 4, 2013

Moles...Moles...and more Moles...

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?


     Starting a new year and I have a week to get across the idea of moles to my academic kids.  We did "Mole Day" so they have some idea of what a mole is.  I do not want to repeat or re do what they may already know.  I have decided to start with a formative assessment activity.  I am going to provide a POD about moles and then start a "Chain" note.  Each student will have to write down something about moles but they cannot repeat what someone else has said and they have to sign their name to it.  I will take a quick glance at this and determine if we should do a "count by weighing activity" with MM's or do something a bit more challenging which is the POGIL activity.  Hopefully, the formative assessment will help me "diagnose" where they are at and the next steps.  The end result is that I want them to be able to convert mass, to moles to molecules and understand moles helps us to count small things by weighing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment