Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Atomic Theory and inquiry??????


WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

     How do you do inquiry with nuclear chemistry and model of the atom?  Especially when you have a time crunch?  Not sure if this counts as inquiry but here goes...
     First, I did a flipped assignment on the history of the atom.  Then I demonstrated some of the original experiments (cathode ray tube).  Next I did a "gold leaf" experiment.  I had a board that was "gold leaf" leaf on four blocks with a fifth in the center.  The board was covered with paper.  I then shot "alpha particles" or marbles through.  Most went through, with the exception to the one that hit the center block.  Each shot was recorded, and path, on the paper on the board.  It was a model of the gold leaf experiment.  I then gave them the question, "Compare and contrast the model of the atom by JJ Thomson, Rutherford and Dalton".  We tackled it as a class on a Venn Diagram.  Finally, we started with a POGIL activity on isotopes.  The good news is that one student said, "Hey, the gold leaf experiment was on the SAT!"  I almost did cart wheels.  I tried cramming in a lot but I think this is the last week we will have without interruptions from now until June....oops...it almost sounds like I am whining but it is late....


No comments:

Post a Comment