Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cooking and Chemistry.....


WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

Just finished empirical molecular and percent comp in academic.  There were two flavors of learning evidence.  Either they aced the quiz or they had NO clue.  I feel as if it went a little better than last year thanks to the little "book" idea from Kim.  (See above).

     Just started stoichiometry.  I told the students if they could tell me the EXACT amounts we needed for everyone in class to have a smore, I would buy them at the store and we could make them the next day.  The "smore" equation was like the balanced equation.  We even had conversion factors (number of gram crackers per box).  I introduced "mole to mole" conversions with balanced equations at the same time.  When they finished eating their smores I gave away the extra chocolate and marsh mallows based on balanced equations and mole to mole ratio answers.  Tomorrow we will pick up with a POGIL activity on mole ratios.  It will be neat to see how it goes.
  The people who did not do well on the test will work on that instead of the pogil which will then be a take home activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment