Monday, February 25, 2013

Mini Posters as Lab Reports

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

     I gave the mini posters a try as a lab report.  I learned a couple of things.....
     First, if we are going to lab practicals for exit exams in classes, this is the way to go.  I learned quickly what parts kids struggled with..they got the hypothesis down but had a hard time with procedures and data table.  Also, some kids do more work than others.  I followed up with a lab quiz based on simple data.  Sure enough, the kids who worked hard did well on the quiz.  I presented them with a rubric.  Either they did not understand it, did not take it seriously or it was too general.  I do think this is certainly a worthwhile endeavor.  It is also how scientists tend to communicate.  Here are some samples below.



  I am going to save some for future examples and plan on doing this again.  I am also going to have some groups do a 5 minute "Presentation".  Tomorrow, I plan to have the students who did well on the quiz be the "teacher" and work with those who did not do well....the test is coming up this Friday... we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment