Sunday, November 10, 2013

Slow but sure...

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?


     Students came in set for lab.  I controlled the balances.  They received a known hydrate and test tube.  They had to predict the exact mass of the anhydrous salt and test tube before they weighed it and I controlled the scales.  Most teams came within 5 %.  They then had to find the ratio of salt to water in an unknown hydrate and they could only ask one question (what is the molar mass of the unknown).  Again, most students did well but struggled in the lab write up to explain the story of the experiment.  
     In Academic we did the classification of matter activity from Flinn ( an excellent activity).  First, they saw models of mixtures, elements and compounds on the board.  Next, they made a variety of models with paper clips and had to I.D. them (nice formative assessment).  Third, they identified and classified the models on paper and then were able to begin to classify reactions going from model to model.
    Overall, I was happy with academic.  I had the chance to go to table to table, ask about their models and if they could classify them.  The Flinn elearning series is some of the best chemical education around.  It is the best of the best.  Still working on the lab format with the tri folds.  I feel as if kids are going through the motions in most cases.
    Next week we are doing reactions in Accelerated.  I have a reactivity of metals lab but I found a great simulation from Greenbowe on reactivity of metals.  Research says that simulations do not replace labs, but they do enhance labs.  I plan on doing the simulation first and then the lab.  I will keep you posted....

No comments:

Post a Comment