Sunday, November 3, 2013

Moles, Moles and more Moles.....

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

    Here is the deal...with both Academic and Accelerated...no matter what I do I feel like when we hit real math applications in chemistry, either the kids get it or they do not.  Both classes were tested on moles...there were either A's or D's and F's but little in between.  So now what?  Keep going and try to not do the same thing twice if it does not work.

     On another note, I hope to do  bit of an inquiry lab.  On day one students are going to be given copper(II)sulfate.  They can have the mass of the test tube and hydrate.  They will have to show me the calculations and predict what the mass of the anhydrous salt is.  On day two they will be given an unknown.  They are allowed to ask me one question that will allow them to calculate the mole to mole ratio of the salt to water (what is the formula does not count).

     So what do I do when some kids don't get it????  Go to twitter, ask for help on teaching moles and keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment