Saturday, November 30, 2013

Formative assessments and coming up with good reviews....

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

     Exit tickets.  They are a nice way to quickly find out where the kids are at.  I gave each student a post it note.  I told them that they could write down one thing that they were "clear" about or one "question".  They did not have to put their name on it but they had to either post it on the "clear" paper or the "question" paper by the door as they leave.
     At the end of the day I had six papers (3 bells) covered with post it notes.  It was very clear what the "questions" were.  The majority of the students were struggling with predicting reactions that involved certain decomposition reactions.
     And here lies the problem...I have the data....I know what the students are struggling with.....and I have less than 24 hours to come up with a meaningful review assignment that adequately addresses their misconceptions.  It is tough but I know that I have to try...so I come some problems as quickly as possible over a difficult concept.  It is not perfect but it is better than nothing.  We do the problems and it is good first bell but better second bell.
     So what could I have done differently?  I have this idea.  Maybe there is a way to efficiently use technology to differentiate instruction.  Here is the idea...maybe I could come up problems that are "hard", "medium" and "easy" in google drive.  Then, I could click "send" to each class based on the questions and problems that they are having.  It would take some planning but I think it is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment