Sunday, November 17, 2013

Vocabulary, Formative Assessment and Front Loading

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

     O.K.....I know that I swore to keep away from edubable but here goes.  It took me about a quarter to figure out my academic kids.  I know good teaching is good teaching but every group of kids has their own way of doing thing and I need to be aware of that.
     So here is what I have tried and it seems to work well.  First...vocabulary.  I know that I am not the best at it in the past and I know that it is important.  During my summer work in a lab at Miami I knew that if I did not learn a whole new set of vocabulary, I never would have been able to get past day one.  So first, I made a list, put it in google docs and shared it with the students  (check out this link).
     Students are given a vocabulary list and assignment.   The rule is that they have to define the term and they must have an example, picture or analogy.  They can (and often do) cut copy and paste the definition but the example, picture or analogy forces students to do a bit more thinking.
    Next, there is a quizlet link.  Finally, there is a google survey  .  I tell students to take this survey as fast as possible.  They see each word and simply put down a 1 or 5 based on how well they think they know the word.  Finally, I can see the results and go over the "top 5" that confuse students.  I tried it with the "Classification of Matter".  I quickly discovered that the two top words the students struggled with were "intensive properties" and "extensive properties".   I can do a quick assessment with the clickers.  I will see how this goes on the next chapter (the periodic table) and report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment