Monday, November 3, 2014

Cool New Formative Assessment for Flipped Classrooms....

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

O.K...this is cool.  Most teachers like to grab short videos off of YouTube.  Many also "Flip" the classroom by showing some Khan Academy type video, require kids to take notes at home and then do the problems in class.  The concern is always if kids are paying attention and putting in the time to understand the content on the video.
     There are some new products that have a free version of a software that attaches questions to the videos.  The are from "Educanon" and "Zaption".  I have tried zaption and here is the low down....
 
     We were doing an "inquiry" lab with chromatography.  Students had gotten some background information.  I wanted to see what they knew but I did not want to give them too much information.  I found a short You Tube video about chromatography basics.  I was able, through Zaption, to easily insert questions and make it into what they call a "tour".  Kids had to sign in, watch the video....but at certain points that I designated, the video would stop and not continue until they answered a multiple choice question.  The cool part is that I could then go into the "analytic" section and view how everyone did.  Quickly, I was able to tell that they had the "basic" idea of chromatography but needed some help on applying it to our specific situation that involved red food dye and candy.  Overall...quick, fast, cheap and it works...my kind of technology...You can check out the video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment