Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Periodic Table and Obsessions....

WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP KIDS ACHIEVE?

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE THERE?

WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?

     O.k....some say I am slightly obsessed with the periodic table.  I have 2 periodic table mugs, a periodic table shower curtain, four periodic table ties and a new periodic table bow tie.  I do not see myself as obsessed...just impressed. (I am not obsessed with coffee either...addicted is a better phrase...by the way, I like to call it my "happy juice").
     Here is why I like the periodic table.  It is the ultimate chemists cheat sheet.  It is an amazing pattern with the trends, relationships and stories.  So here is the good news.  I found a great lab at the TIMU site called "Trend Setter".  The students have a bunch of cards with properties and they recreate exactly what Mendeleev went through.  Not only do they learn the content but they have to work as a group and use higher order thinking skills to find the "missing element".  It is the first time I have done this lab and is a stretch for the kids..but I think it will be a good stretch.  I am so excited...I might were one of my ties....By the way...if you are looking for a good periodic table lab that  ties in many concepts (ionization energy, atomic radii, electronegativity, analysis of patterns and trends) log into the Grand Valley site and check it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment